Success Codes—Neurology Edition
Time for another edition of my wildly popular “Success Codes” series. If you haven’t already, you may want to review my world-class, yet humbly simple (yes, really) explanation of RAF scoring—it’ll help you understand some of the shorthand terminologies below. It’s the only one on the web written by a PCP who’s been in the trenches blocking and tackling since Medicare Advantage first arrived on the scene 20+ years ago—and done so with incredible results.
That’s probably why it’s so good—and so good for you!
Now let’s get started.
More than most conditions, neurologic codes are based on history rather than objective findings. Take a good history, especially regarding sensory and motor symptoms. It’ll be well worth it for both you and your patient.
- Cauda equina syndrome G83.4 RAF 0.5
- Epilepsy G40.909 RAF 0.3
- Anterior horn disease G12.29 RAF 1.0
- Drug-induced neuropathy G62.0 RAF 0.5
- Alcoholic neuropathy G62.1 RAF 0.5
- Cauda equina syndrome
- Treat this clinical diagnosis as the authentic emergency it is, but don’t trust the ER or the neurosurgeon to document it accurately
- Epilepsy G40.909
- Use for stable patients on maintenance anti-epileptics
- Don’t use the acute seizure codes, you’ll lose the audit
- Anterior horn disease
- The post-polio cohort is passing but the condition does occur and under-recognized—take a good history.
- Drug-induced neuropathy
- Consider this code if you had to stop a med due to numbness or tingling.
- Alcoholic neuropathy
- Often present in symptomatic alcoholics, rarely caught.
Remember, these are not the most common neurologic codes, but the most common codes that will be missed unless you, the primary care clinician, catches them.
Catch them—both you and your patients will prosper
Executive, administrator or clinician; here are even more specific, actionable tactics for Medicare Advantage Success. Strategic thoughts and tactical pearls are posted every Monday and Thursday, sign up for delivery to your inbox and never miss a single one!
Last week’s high-value tactic.
Stay ahead of the managed care curve with topical weekly intelligence and immediately useful insights—and receive a value-packed free white-paper tailored specifically to your circumstance–subscribe to Value-Based Transformations today!
You can catch unique, high-value content including live-streams on my Professional Facebook page.
Collaborate with us through LinkedIN.
Interact with us via Twitter.
Like my Facebook Page.
Catch valuable videos and live-streams on my YouTube channel.
Want a high-value jumpstart? Just published with the latest information, tools and tactics, Medicare Advantage Mastery will set you on your way with your first 12 steps to excellent managed care performance.